Current:Home > MarketsFederal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years -FutureFinance
Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 01:29:58
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A federal judge was poised Friday to prohibit separation of families at the border for purposes of deterring immigration for eight years, preemptively blocking resumption of a lightning-rod, Trump-era policy that the former president hasn’t ruled out if voters return him to the White House next year.
U.S. District Judge Dana Sabraw tentatively approved a court settlement in October between the Justice Department and families represented by the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU says no one formally objected, clearing the way to end the case nearly seven years after it was filed.
Sabraw, who was appointed by President George W. Bush, ordered an end to separations in June 2018, six days after then-President Donald Trump halted them on his own amid intense international backlash. The judge also ordered that the government reunite children with their parents within 30 days, setting off a mad scramble because government databases weren’t linked. Children had been dispersed to shelters across the country that didn’t know who their parents were or how to find them.
Under the proposed settlement, the type of “zero-tolerance” policy under which the Trump administration separated more than 5,000 children from parents who were arrested for illegally entering the country would be prohibited until December 2031.
Children may still be separated but under limited circumstances, as has been the case for years. They include if the child is believed to be abused, if the parent is convicted of serious crimes or if there are doubts that the adult is the parent.
Families that were separated may be eligible for other benefits — legal status for up to three years on humanitarian parole; reunification in the United States at government expense; one year of housing; three years of counseling; legal aid in immigration court. But the settlement doesn’t pay families any money. In 2021, the Biden administration considered compensating parents and children hundreds of thousands of dollars each, but talks stalled.
As he seeks to return to the White House in next year’s elections, Trump has been noncommittal whether he would try to resume family separations. He defended the results in an interview with Univision last month, claiming without evidence that it “stopped people from coming by the hundreds of thousands.”
“When you hear that you’re going to be separated from your family, you don’t come. When you think you’re going to come into the United States with your family, you come,” Trump said.
veryGood! (16991)
Related
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- New murder charges brought against the man accused of killing UVA football players
- Do you own an iPhone or an iPad? Update your Apple devices right now
- Stephen Strasburg's planned retirement hits a snag as Nationals back out of deal
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- DOJ slams New Jersey over COVID deaths at veterans homes, residents still at high risk
- Death of Indianapolis murder convict at Indiana prison investigated as homicide, police say
- After summit joined by China, US and Russia, Indonesia’s leader warns of protracted conflicts
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Brazil’s Lula seeks to project unity and bring the army in line during Independence Day events
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Settlement reached in lawsuit over cop pepper-spraying Black, Latino soldier in 2020 traffic stop
- Police have cell phone video of Julio Urías' altercation from domestic violence arrest
- Lila Moss, Leni Klum and Other Celeb Kids Taking New York Fashion Week by Storm
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Special grand jury report that aided Georgia probe leading to Trump’s indictment is set for release
- One Chip Challenge maker Paqui pulls product from store shelves after teen's death in Massachusetts
- As more children die from fentanyl, some prosecutors are charging their parents with murder
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Prospects for more legalized gambling in North Carolina uncertain
Evacuation orders are in place in central Greece as a river bursts its banks and floodwaters rise
Former British police officers admit they sent racist messages about Duchess Meghan, others
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
Apple shares lost about $200 billion in value this week. Here's why.
Police chief put on paid leave after allegedly body-slamming a student